Clinton Pardons Mechanic!
Howard Mechanic was released from prison January 20th and received a full presidential pardon.
He would like to thank all of those whose efforts helped him to receive presidential clemency.
Executive Grant of Clemency
Archived Page with media coverage and background information before Howard's release.
WHY IS THIS MAN
Howard Mechanic has been in prison since February 10, 2000
for his part in a 1970 Anti-Vietnam War Demonstration.
Here's why YOU should care.
Here's how YOU can help.
A letter from prison
Donate to the Legal Defense Fund
WE would like to thank Ambr for their support - its has meant a lot in terms of keeping the lights on around here. We also think their mission to educate and treat screen-caused eye strain is a worthy cause:
Howard Mechanic's case has been widely covered by the media.
Please support Howard by writing letters to the editor.
Here's a sampling of news stories found online:
- Mechanic paid dues, let him go The Arizona Republic (11/29)
- It's Time to Free Howard Mechanic The Arizona Republic (11/27)
- Former Activist Speaks out for
St. Louis Post-Dispatch (9/2)
- Up in
Smoke: Cherry Bomb Explodes and life veers off course Jewish News
of Greater Phoenix (7/14)
Anybody Know How To Be a Fugitive Anymore? The New York Times
fugitive says jail experience spurred flight St. Louis
- Howard's End St. Louis River Front Times (2/16)
- Howard's End?: Scottsdalians should cast write-in votes for one Mechanic that can be trusted Phoenix New Times (2/24)
- When the law catches up with ex-radicals Christian Science Monitor (2/23)
- Tin Soldiers and Nixon (Still) Coming St. Louis River Front Times (2/16)
- AZ Common Cause has setup a page cataloging Howard Mechanic's public service. (mirrored locally)
Lockdown Mother Jones Magazine - A story about Corrections
Corporation of America, the
business that runs the prison where Howard is locked up.